Tuesday, May 15, 2007

As Life Speeds By … Slow Down A Little…

Sermon (5/6/2007)
Why is it that everyone seems to be in a hurry to get somewhere? Whenever I go somewhere I always leave early if I am not sure exactly how long it will take to get there. If I do know how long it will take I try to leave early anyway just in case. Yet all around me everyone seems to be in such a rush. This proves to be a great lesson time when the girls are with me since they just got their permits. Whenever I take Karissa to school it never fails that someone will be driving fast and usually with little regard to those around them. For example a few weeks ago when I took Karissa to school a young girl went speeding around us on Highway 30. When we took the off ramp to 6th Street, guess who we pulled up right behind? You guessed it, the same girl that had passed us. At the next intersection she flew through the yellow, no, make that red light and cut in front of several cars narrowly avoiding an accident. She managed to get several cars in front of us and was probably a mile ahead of us, that is, until the next stoplight. This time she was two cars in front of us. By the time we reached school she was only a few seconds ahead of us. I am sure she thought she had made great time getting to school, but the truth is she did not get there any faster than we did. Instead she broke a few traffic laws and risked getting ticketed. This seems to happen all the time. People are in such a hurry to get from one place to another. We seem to race through life without worrying about the consequences. What would have happened if that girl had gone through that red light just a few seconds later? More than likely she would have been in a terrible accident. Some days it scares me to see how people drive. It seems as if stop signs do not exist, speed limits are not for them, along with many other things. Why? To save a few minutes getting to where they are going? Galatians 6:7b says, "A man reaps what he sows." If you speed you could get a ticket, get into an accident, or both.

Most of us have raced somewhere because we were running behind and I would be willing to bet that each of us that has done this has worried about getting a ticket. How did we get behind on time?

  • The baby spit up all over you
  • Had to change the baby’s diaper
  • The alarm didn’t go off or more likely we hit the snooze button one too many times
  • Flat tire
  • Lost the car keys
  • Ran out of gas and yes, this one has happened to me but only because the gas gauge was broken
  • Stayed up too late and forgot to set the alarm
  • Forgot about the appointment
  • Anyone have one they want to share?

25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? (New Testament Scripture - Matthew 6:25-34)

Has anyone ever had this conversation? What do you want for supper? I don’t know, what do you want? I don’t know what do you want? I don’t care; I am just hunger, what about you? One of the things that I liked about last weekends 30 Hour Famine is that this conversation did not happen during it, well at least during it we did not have it, after the famine was a whole other story. Then it was I am so hungry. What do you want? I don’t know. Peanut butter and jelly? Yuck! Well, then what do you want? I don’t know, I am just hungry. At this point a couple of place are mentioned that are not acceptable and we get back to I am hungry, what are we eating? I guess that chunk of bread did not fill you up? No, I haven’t eaten for 30 hours! While it was irritating at the time, now it seems so funny that we even had that conversation.

Another conversation that is heard in many homes is, "Honey, what are you wearing today? I don’t know yet, what are you wearing? I have no idea, I have nothing to wear! What about that new outfit you bought? I don’t like the way it fits. Oh, well I am wearing a polo and slacks. How soon will you be ready? We have to be there in 20 minutes. I don’t know, I don’t have anything to where. Add this to the list of reasons why you are behind on time.

Has anyone wished they had more time in the day to get things done? I often have. Twenty-four is just not enough to get everything done and also get some sleep. The whiteboards in my office help by keeping me better organized, then there is the scheduler on my phone, and my Pocket PC, and my Outlook calendar on my computer, and the calendar hanging on the wall at home … wait, that is Diane’s way to keep track of things that I am always forgetting to write stuff on. Better put that on my phone, my Pocket PC, and my Outlook calendar to make sure I remember to write it down on the calendar at home. Yeah right, I am still going to forget.

We can get so worked up about everything that is going on in our lives that we forget to slow down and spend time with God. This rush around and worry attitude can lead to many different things such as not being able to sleep at night, not being able to concentrate, and even physical pain. I usually do not have any trouble sleeping. Concentrating can be a whole different thing. Things have a tendency to race through my mind at light speed and sometimes I wish I could just reach up and grab some of those thoughts so I would not forget them. Those thoughts seem to race by from the time I wake up in the morning until I go to sleep at night. I am sure that a lot of them are awesome but I just have some many going by that getting those awesome ones gets difficult. I have come to the conclusion that if it is important, I will think of it again. As for the pain that can come with worrying that is not just something I threw in to scare someone. I get these pains that start in my neck and shoot up to the top of my head. Sometimes these are so bad that I cringe. I have asked my doctor about it and she has told me over and over again that it is stress. I have tried different pain relievers and none of them do any good. God wants us to give our cares to Him. 1 Peter 5:7 tells us, "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you."

Jesus asks the question in Matthew 6:27, "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" I certainly can't. In fact I probably take off an hour by worrying about all the things that I have to get done. Why not slow down? There is a lot to gain by leaving a little earlier to get where you are going. I do not intend to be mean, but I love when someone speeds by and within a few blocks is setting next to me at the stoplight, better yet they got into the wrong lane and they are actually behind me. Will it be easy to slow down, not a chance. Sometimes this means we have to say no to things that we would really like to do. Every week there is something that I would love to do that has to do with doing youth ministry. Slowing down and actually saying no to some of these things is not the easiest thing for me to do, just ask Diane. She will tell you that I do not know how to say no. A couple weeks ago I went to a YoungLife Committee Fair. There were so many neat things that I could have gotten involved with. When I got home I was telling Diane about the meeting and she gave me the look. The one that says what did you agree to do this time. I told her that I signed up for the newsletter. I got the what else look. That is when I told her that I also signed up to pray for the ministry and that that was it. I think she was somewhat startled. I have learned that I cannot do everything. I have learned what "no" means and I am working on learning how to say it and actually do it. Until then I am relying on making lists and prioritizing the things that are on it. It has been great because I am finding some extra time which I have been using to pray and praise God.

It amazes me how some things can sum up a thought so well. The following is titled "Slow Down" by David L. Leatherwood and it hit the point perfectly.

Have you ever watched kids on a merry-go-round,
or listened to rain slapping the ground?
Ever followed a butterfly's erratic flight,
or gazed at the sun into the fading night?
You better slow down,
don't dance so fast,
time is short, the music won't last.
Do you run through each day on the fly,
when you ask "How are you?",
do you hear the reply?
When the day is done,
do you lie in your bed, with the next hundred chores running through your head?
You better slow down,
don't dance so fast
time is short, the music won't last.
Ever told your child,
we'll do it tomorrow,
and in your haste, not seen his sorrow?
Ever lost touch,
let a good friendship die,
'cause you never had time to call and say "hi".
You better slow down,
don't dance so fast
time is short, the music won't last.
When you run so fast to get somewhere,
you miss half the fun of getting there,
When you worry and hurry though your day,
it is like an unopened gift thrown away.
Life is not a race,
so take it slower,
hear the music before the song is over.

Sometimes we just need to lay down in the grass, look up at the clouds and let our minds wonder. "Don’t Worry, Be Happy." Amen.

No comments: