Thursday, December 27, 2007

So many Bibles to choose from ...

Selling the Good Book by its cover - from the Los Angeles Times
This is an interesting article about how the Bible is marketed to us. One of the interesting things in the article is that the Bible out sold the latest Harry Potter book by about 2 to 1. I have to admit I was skeptical when I began reading it, but the more I read, the more I did have to agree with it. Anytime I read something related to the man that our church, (Jan) Hus Presbyterian Church, my interest is automatically peaked and Stephanie Simon, the Los Angeles Times Staff Writer that wrote the article did just that:
"In a way -- an admittedly commercial way -- theologian Kurt Fredrickson sees modern publishers as following the hallowed footsteps of Christian heroes such as Jan Hus, William Tyndale and Martin Luther, who risked their lives to bring God's word to the masses."
There are a lot of different Bibles out there. You can narrow your search by finding a translation that works for you. How? Check them out online before buying one. There are several websites that you can use to do this:

After you have chosen the version you like best go to your local Christian bookstore and they can help narrow your search even further (i.e. compact version, study Bible, Life Application Bible, youth, teen, adult, etc.). The best part about actually having a printed copy is that even when the power goes out, you can still read by candlelight. God bless and happy searching.

Because of Him ~ Terry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess you will want to get a twitter icon to your website. I just marked down the article, although I must complete it manually. Simply my $.02 :)