Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Journaling Life - March 23, 2010

Yesterday's devotional readings were from Joshua 15-17 and 1 Corinthians 8. As I read the passage from 1 Corinthians 8 I stopped to really think about how what we do as followers of Jesus affects everyone we come into contact with, especially those who do not hold the same beliefs or are new to the faith.

In this passage Paul is talking about food that was offered to idols. He begins the passage by defining what an idol is. He tells us that there are many idols that are known as both god and lord both in heaven and on earth. But for us as Christians there is only one God, our Father and there is only one Lord, Jesus Christ. He further goes on to explain that not everyone knows this. This is where I not only thought about those who were new Christians, but also to those people that have heard, but still do not believe. Part of that unbelief is that so many Christians do not live their faith that the non-believers just shake their heads and chalk up it up to all Christians being hypocrites.

Can it be that Paul's message was so much more than being about eating meat that was sacrificed to idols? I'd have to say yes. When we do things that would make anyone question what we believe, then we are taking away the opportunity to fulfill Christ's words just before he ascended to heaven:

"All power in heaven and on earth is given to me. 19So go and make followers of all people in the world. Baptize them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. 20Teach them to obey everything that I have taught you, and I will be with you always, even until the end of this age."

If we are to reach our friends, families, neighbors, communities and beyond we have to live a life that will "not cause any of them to sin."

How? That can be the hard part. Many times we all, myself included, have found it easier to not do the right thing. When we do that we are saying we don't want to stand out, we want to be comfortable. Two brothers who were tired of being comfortable decided enough was enough and a few years ago wrote "Do Hard Things" because they were tired of low expectations. Since then Alex & Brett Harris have written another book, "Start Here" in which they talk to their readers about doing hard things from right where they are at. They decided they didn't want to be comfortable, they didn't want to let the culture dictate what they should do.

What about you, are you ready to "do hard things" or will you remain complacent and comfortable? I'm tired of being comfortable and complacent, but doing hard things can be, well hard. It is something that I know I will always struggle with, but I refuse to let that be an excuse. It means thinking before speaking or doing. It means letting God be my guide, not the world.

Hey God, its me again. I know I struggle with a lot of things, especially with things of the world. Please help to me overcome those things and that when I do mess up that I don't just learn from it, but that I do not make the same mistake again. In Jesus name I pray ... AMEN!

No comments: