Friday, August 26, 2016

Why Do You Read the Bible? - 8/26/2016

Why Do You Read the Bible?

Recently I have been reading the book Multiply by Francis Chan which is about Discipleship. In the section about studying the Bible it talks about the reasons for reading the Bible. Is it done out of some sort of perceived obligation? Are you reading it to be smarter than everybody else? What is your motivation?

This got me to thinking, why I read the Bible. I have no desire to be the world’s foremost theologian. Then I came to realize it is because I really, really, really (get the idea) want to know God and the Bible is the best way to do that.

This morning as I was doing my morning devotionals God spoke through the words in Psalm 143:10 NLT:

10 Teach me to do your will, for you are my God. May your gracious Spirit lead me forward on a firm footing.

One of the ways that God is going to teach me to do His will is for me to better understand what He is saying to me. He speaks to all of us through His love letter to us. That love letter is the Bible. The messages contained in the Bible have been called many things that it is not. I believe that the Bible is the inerrant, inspired and authoritative Word of God. This is backed up by Scripture (2 Timothy 3:15-172 Peter 1:20-21Psalm 119:105,16012:6Proverbs 30:5).

In order for God to teach me, I have to be willing to learn and be willing to accept His correction. This will happen because He is my God. Something that I did not understand fully until He met me right where I was at nearly 13 years ago. Sure, I knew God before that. We had a relationship. He was all in and I was, well, I wasn’t. All that changed and I have been devouring His Word ever since in an effort to know God better.


17 So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.

James is not telling that by doing we are good enough. I believe he is telling us that if we truly have faith that we just by our nature do good deeds. We will not want to do the things that the world tells us are ok. When we come into a relationship with God we then allow the Holy Spirit to fill us. We are then guided to do God’s Will. Our faith will become evident.

So, now you know why I read the Bible. Why do you?

No comments: