Saturday, August 15, 2015

Inviting God Into Your Marriage - 8/15/2016

Inviting God Into Your Marriage

Ecclesiastes 49-12 NIV

August 15, 2015

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor:  If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.  Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?  Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

This passage can have so many uses, but the one I'm reminded of today is the strength that a husband and wife can have when they invite God into their marriage. That is because Diane and I are headed to our nephew’s wedding today.

Long before I knew this passage I learned how to make rope as a Boy Scout. We'd start with three  stands of twine, twisting them together. Depending on how thick the rope was going to be you would keep twisting three stands together. I still have some that rope all these years later and the are still strong as when they were made.

When Diane and I made the commitment to invite God into our marriage things changed. We realized that He had been waiting for us. That is very comforting but for me there was regret. Regret that we had not done it sooner. To say that things changed is an understatement. No longer were we chasing happiness, God showed us what happiness really is. The “fun” that we used to think was fun was just a way to try and fill a void. The more we chased it, the more we had to chase it.

Now there is a contentment with life. While many of my co-workers are struggling with their morale at work I'm content. Do I have the hours that I want? Not really, but I am convinced that God has a plan in it. And that provides strength for Diane and I.

Just like any relationship it takes work on our part. Daily we are praying, reading and studying God’s Word and doing other devotionals. In doing that we are leaning more about God and each other. What an amazing journey that has been and continues to be. Things that used to cause both of us a lot of stress don’t. Don’t get me wrong there are still stressful moments, but their intensity have diminished greatly. It really helps knowing that God is walking the path of life with us.

Doing life together is wonderful. And with God I not think there is anything that we cannot overcome. Our prayer today is that Spencer and Allyson will have this relationship with each other and with God.

Loving Father we thank you for all the blessings You have brought to our lives and to our marriage. We pray those same blessings for Spencer and Allyson as the commit to one another today in front of You and our family and their friends. Father watch over them. In Jesus Amen!

No comments: