Friday, August 14, 2015

We Are Not Alone - August 14, 2015

We Are Not Alone

August 14, 2015


31 Jesus asked, “Do you finally believe? 32 But the time is coming—indeed it’s here now—when you will be scattered, each one going his own way, leaving me alone. Yet I am not alone because the Father is with me. 33 I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”

When Jesus asked them “Do you finally believe?” He already knew the answer. He even told them they would abandon Him. How often have we done that? Professed our faith in Christ and then abandoned Him. One could say that many people do that every week. They profess Jesus’ name at church and then spend the rest of the week away from Him.

We have all kinds of reasons for this. We woke up late. I forgot. I have just been so busy at work, I need time for myself. What? Church again? The kids have kept me running around.

Each of these and more are reasons we do not spend time in prayer or read our Bibles. Yet, God is there, 24/7 for us. He never leaves. He is never too busy.

Here is one of the other thoughts I had. Even though we are surrounded by others, there are a lot of people out there who are lonely. The reasons for this are numerous. Most people do not like to be alone. And some of those who say they do, well I don’t think they do deep down inside. Is it nice sometimes to have a little time to yourself? Absolutely. But for long periods of time, no thank you.

The thing is, we are never really alone. Jesus reminds us that we are never alone when He said, “Yet I am not alone because the Father is with me.” And the Father is always with us. He is with us when we decide to have one last drink and then drive home. He is with us when we are sitting alone contemplating ending our life. He is with us every moment. People still ask, where was God on 9/11? He was with each and every person including the terrorists. He was telling the terrorists not to go through with it. He was with the people on each of the plans and in the towers and at the Pentagon hoping they would hear Him calling them to himself.

God was there when I had my last accident. You don’t rear end someone on the interstate and drive away from it. Yet He was reminding me to keep my distance because of the construction and detour. That distance made the difference between cosmetic damage and nobody getting hurt and what could have been much worse. Even the other driver said I must have had someone riding along with me. Amen! I sure did.

So what can we do? We can listen when God tells us to go talk to someone. We can listen when we hear Him tell us to go to a nursing home and visit people we do not even know. I know a wonderful couple that does to a nursing home every Wednesday to spend time with some of the residents. Do they know them? They didn’t at first, but now they do. Never forget that God is always there, through everything. Good or bad God is there. That is very comforting to me. It helps me to get through a lot of situations. The thing is, I know He is there. There are a lot of lonely people out there that do not know God so they do not know He is there. For those of you that know me, that breaks my heart. It also breaks God’s heart. I am in great company.


Father God, thank you for always being there, even when we forget you are there. The hard part for us Lord is realizing that we make choices and that others make choices that place us in some bad situations, but You are still there. Help us to hear You. Help us to show Your love to others so they can hear You too. So they can realize they are not alone. Amen!

No comments: