Wednesday, June 03, 2020

Finding confidence through faith

What rattles you? What causes you to sink back and not doing something? What shakes your confidence to the core? It could be any number of things. It could be speaking in front of people. If you are still in school it could be a class or a teacher. College algebra did it for me. I had been taking online classes towards my degree and I got to college algebra. Diane and were in Colorado Springs helping her brother and his family move. I needed to get some class work done so we went to a restaurant that had WiFi. She had was with me because math is her thing. She tried more ways than I can count to help me understand, but I just was not getting it. I knew I was in trouble when I started getting hot and then came the sweating. I was so uncomfortable and then I got upset. That was the end of that study time. 

I have done much complex things than those algebra problems before and since that day. I have setup elaborate spreadsheets and databases that when you look at them had plenty of algebra in them. So what in the world happened? How had I let fear in and get control of me? To say the least it was embarrassing. 

Looking back I sure could have used the advise Paul was giving to Timothy in 2 Timothy 1:7 - 7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. Instead of fear and timidity I should have prayed for the power, love, and self-discipline that we get from the Holy Spirit. God will give us what we need by His power to get through each storm. If faith is present we can conquer that fear and timidity with the confidence that God gives. Walk in faith, walk with God.

No comments: