Wednesday, April 05, 2006

April 2005

Hello All,
28Later, knowing that all was now completed, and so that the Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, “I am thirsty.” 29A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus' lips. 30When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. (John 19:28-30 NIV) “It is finished.” With those words Jesus gave his life for us. It is almost too much to comprehend that Jesus gave his life for all of our sins, even before we were born. I recently read a piece about a dream. In this dream the person was in a room full of drawers. On each drawer was a label covering topics like “Girls I Have Liked”, “Comfort I Have Given”, “Things I Have Done In Anger”, “Friends I Have Betrayed”, and the list went on. In the drawers were cards. These cards had all the events of this person’s life and he signed each. When he looked in the drawers like “Things I Have Done In Anger” he found memories of things that he wished he had not done. He decided that he would destroy them, but hard as he tried he could not rip, burn, or get rid of them in any way. Then he saw a light and realized that Jesus was there with him. The story ends with the following:

“I watched helplessly as He began to open the files and read the cards. I couldn't bear to watch His response. And in the moments I could bring myself to look at His face, I saw a sorrow deeper than my own. He seemed to intuitively go to the worst boxes. Why did He have to read every one?

Finally He turned and looked at me from across the room. He looked at me with pity in His eyes. But this was a pity that didn't anger me. I dropped my head, covered my face with my hands and began to cry again. He walked over and put His arm around me. He could have said so many things. But He didn't say a word. He just cried with me.

Then He got up and walked back to the wall of files. Starting at one end of the room, He took out a file and, one by one, began to sign His name over mine on each card.

"No!" I shouted rushing to Him. All I could find to say was "No, no," as I pulled the card from Him. His name shouldn't be on these cards. But there it was, written in red so rich, so dark, so alive. The name of Jesus covered mine. It was written with His blood.

He gently took the card back. He smiled a sad smile and began to sign the cards. I don't think I'll ever understand how He did it so quickly, but the next instant it seemed I heard Him close the last file and walk back to my side. He placed His hand on my shoulder and said, "It is finished."

I stood up, and He led me out of the room. There was no lock on its door. There were still cards to be written.”

Just doing good things will not be enough. We need to accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior so we can join him in Heaven. He has already paid the ultimate price by giving his life for us. We celebrate Easter just once a year, but we should be thankful every day of the year.

On behalf of the Youth Group I would like to thank everyone who contributed to the bake sale either by donation, by buying one or more of the delicious baked goods, or by prayer. It was a huge success. The Youth Group had decided that a minimum of 10% of the money we raised would be sent to a mission. They recently changed their minds and have decided to give just over 20% (split between two organizations). Half of the money will be going to a local mission, Cedar Rapids Mission of Hope. The other half will be going to an international mission, Voice of the Martyrs. The Youth Group has ties to both organizations. The first, Cedar Rapids Mission of Hope, we hope to start assisting by offering our time where they need help. The second, Voice of the Martyrs is where we got the idea to prayer for those in countries where it is either illegal, deadly, or both to be a Christian. The youth pray for specific countries every week, this will allow them to do a little more. The rest of the money will be spent to furnish the newly painted Youth Room with something to sit on (sofa, chairs, etc.). The remaining money will then be used with money raised from future fundraisers to send the kids on a mission trip during the summer of 2006. We are starting to plan this now as there are literally hundreds of places just in the United States to choose from.

Because of Him,
Terry and Diane

Because He is Risen
Lord, we are so thankful for what you have given to us. You sent your only Son to live and die with us. In Jesus’ death we are given salvation. Jesus paid the ultimate price for our sins when he died on the cross. We know that had it only been just for one of us, He still would have crucified. Help us to be Your humble servants as we remember that it is all about you. In Jesus precious name we pray, Amen.

44"Then they will reply, `Lord, when did we ever see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and not help you?' 45And he will answer, `I assure you, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me.' " (Matthew 25:44-45 NLT)

No comments: