Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Family Dinners: Much More Than A Meal - CBS News

Family Dinners: Much More Than A Meal - CBS News

I remember eating meals at the table when I was a kid. It was relaxing until Mom made my brother and I do the dishes, then it had a tendency to look like a boxing or wrestling match.

It amazes me how busy we have become. Last night we did sit down for dinner as a family before rushing off to other things. It definitely was better for us than some fast food place. I do not know about you, but when we eat at home you can almost guarantee that we will drink milk. If we go out it is pop. We usually have a salad at home too. The part I like about that is that I do not have special order it without tomatoes - I am free put what ever I want on it and amazingly enough we always have what I want.

The one thing that is not different whether we eat out or at home is that every meal begins by giving thanks to God for the blessings that he has given us.

As this article suggests, we just need to slow down. We have so many choices and like everyone else we try to get them all in. We need to retrain ourselves and train our kids to be picky about the extracurricular activities that we choose. Pick what is most important and let the rest go. Easy to say, hard to do but we have to try.

No comments: