Tuesday, April 04, 2006

January 2005

Hello All,

I am in awe of the Christmas season. I have always loved the part of giving (you read it right). To see the face of the person that you are giving a present to is an incredible feeling of joy. I love to go caroling and sing. I loved it even more to see the faces of the people we were caroling to when the youth group gave them the door hanger gifts. In Luke 2:8-20 (NLT) an angel of the Lord announces God's gift to us:
8And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. 11Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. 12This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” 13Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, 14“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.” 15When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let's go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.” 16So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. 17When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, 18and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. 19But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. 20The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told.

Can you imagine? An angel appearing, bringing the good news that Jesus Christ had been born in Bethlehem. What a tremendous experience that must have been for those shepherds. Those that lived when Jesus was on earth were able to experience the miracle of his birth, they were witnesses to the miracles that he performed, and they were able to hear him speak. It would have been very easy to believe. After the Resurrection, Jesus was talking to Thomas about those that have not seen him but still believe (John 20:29 NLT).

It is often difficult, regardless of your age, to believe in something that we have not seen. I can remember friends when I was in school telling what they had done but there were no witnesses:
 I caught a fish and it was this big (arms stretched out as far as they would go). Amazingly that fish got bigger every year, but then again, so did my friend.
 I got a hole in one today. Of course he failed to mention that he was playing miniature golf.

Jesus came from heaven, made friends with people many of us would not even talk to, performed miracles, and died for our sins. Sometimes people question whether this really happened. To them I would say, we have witnesses, most notably were the 12 Apostles: first, Simon (who is called Peter) and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother John; 3Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; 4Simon the Zealot and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him (Matthew 10:2-4 NLT). The New Testament is about Jesus' life from his birth through the time that he will come back again. I would encourage you to start reading the Bible so you might better understand what it is all about. And don't worry, if you have questions, so does everyone else. Talk to your parents, your pastor, your Sunday school teacher, or us. If they do not know the answer, they can help you find someone who does.

Receive the gift that God has given us. Rejoice in the birth of Jesus Christ, for without Jesus we would not have been forgiven our sins.

A couple of reminders before we close for this month. We will hopefully start painting the youth room in January. We will discuss possible dates in upcoming meetings. No Youth Group on December 29, 2004. And finally, if get the chance, check out the new website at www.faithwebsites.com/huschurch.

Merry Christmas!!

Because of Him,
Terry and Diane

Receive Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior
"God, I know that I am a sinner. I believe that Jesus Christ died as the punishment for my sins. I believe Jesus rose from the dead and has the power to forgive my sin and change my life. Forgive me. I want you to come into my life. I want you to change me. I want to live my life for You and to follow the plan You have for my life. I believe that in praying to you now that You have already forgiven me, and I thank You for answering my prayer, in Jesus' heavenly name I pray, amen."

"29Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” (John 20:29 NLT)

No comments: