Tuesday, April 04, 2006

March 2004 Newsletter

Hus Memorial Presbyterian Church Youth
Good Evening All,
It is finally here, the first "E-Newsletter" for the Hus Youth Group. We are sure that in the future these will take on new looks, etc., but for now we will just make it basic and to the point. Diane and I continue to enjoy the time that we spend with the youth of our church and look forward to watching them grow in their faith of Jesus Christ. This year we have been using the FaithWeaver's materials that the Sunday School has been using. It has been a lot of fun talking to the kids. From time to time we have also been supplementing this material with a book from dc Talk (
http://www.dctalk.com/dctalk.html) called Jesus Freaks (http://www.jesusfreaks.net/index2.htm). I'm sure this has some of you now wondering what on earth are they telling my son/daughter. Don't worry, the basis of the book is to "Fear God, Not Man." So what is a Jesus Freak you as, just as Kevin Max of dc Talk:
The words "Jesus Freaks" were first coined in the late sixties, when hippies became part of a new revival, the Jesus Movement. It was then when music, poetry, and an open expression for Jesus Christ turned a new generation on to God. It merged rock and roll with the Gospel message, a wave we're still riding today known as contemporary Christian Music. It infused the Church with the arts. It shook up conventional worship. And, due to its "in your face" approach, it had a backlash. The rest of the world called these over-zealous young people "Jesus Freaks" as a derogatory term. But decades later a new generation is embracing that same passion for expression.
Being a Jesus Freak is having a passionate heart for Jesus, a willingness to extend that passion into all areas of life, be it poetry, music, art, or the hard choices made at life's crossroads. The linage of Jesus Freaks actually extends much further back into history than the sixties. Many devoted followers through the centuries gave a new definition to the word "commitment" when they put their homes, their families and even the lives on the line. Their love for Jesus was bigger than life itself. When I read their stories, I can't help but think of my own choices, my own commitments, and how much I owe to those courageous individuals.
Jesus Freaks are more than hippie kids and rock and roll. They are dedicated followers of Jesus Christ who place His name above any other need or desire. And as a Jesus Freak, I stand with thousands of martyrs around the world today who still face persecution because Jesus means more to them than their own lives or comfort.
By no means are we telling your kids that they have to become a Jesus Freak, but we are doing our best to equip them with the knowledge of the scriptures that they can understand so that they can make their own choice. Having been involved with youth activities for a number of years both at Hus and with other organizations I have found one saying that covers virtually everything that I could want:
A Hundred Year From Now ...it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a CHILD.
On that note I will conclude with a quick review of the new Mel Gibson movie, "The Passion of the Christ" (
http://www.passionofthechrist.com/splash.htm). The movie was very moving, inspiring, and yes it is rated R for violence. According to the Motion Picture Association of America a R rating is "Restricted, Under 17 Requires Accompanying Parent Or Adult Guardian. In the opinion of the Rating Board, this film definitely contains some adult material. Parents are strongly urged to find out more about this film before they allow their children to accompany them." While I strongly recommend that everyone see this movie, please exercise caution before taking your kids to see it. I believe that it will change everyone's life and cause many to start asking some very important questions. As for me, my beliefs were re-enforced that Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior and that only if we believe and say this will we be saved.
In Christian Love,
Terry and Diane

A Prayer for Easter
Almighty God, by whose mercy I commemorate the death of my Redeemer, grant that I may so live that his death and resurrection may lead me to eternal happiness. Help me to overcome evil habits and customs. Deliver me from evil thoughts and evil deeds. Grant me light to know my duty, and grace to do it. As the days unfold, help me to become more pure and more holy. Grant that I may serve thee faithfully and with confidence. Grant that when thou dost call me home, I shall enter thine everlasting life and happiness. For the sake of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
(Adapted) Samuel Johnson
Prayer from "Youth At Prayer" by The Upper Room (http://www.upperroom.org/)

No comments: