Friday, May 15, 2020

Have you felt discouraged and needed God close to you?

The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; He rescues those whose spirits are crushed. - Psalm 34:18 NLT

Have you felt discouraged and needed God close to you? Did you even realize it?

I think we can all agree that things has been pretty tough lately. The reasons for this could be many or just one thing. Earlier this week my wife Diane asked me if I was alright and I responded by asking why. I had not noticed anything. In fact, as far as I was concerned everything was normal. But was it really?

Now both of us are pretty analytical and it can take some time before we come up with answers to certain questions. But then, I thought the hardest thing I had been dealing with this week was what we should have for dinner at night. I think we are blinded by the things that drag us down. At the time that she asked me if I was alright:

  • I am facing a surgery that could improve my quality of life and let me get some sleep
  • I had a sermon to write
  • A wedding to finish preparing for
  • I had just mowed my mother-in-law's yard for the last time, something I had been doing for over 20 years
  • As pastors of Grace Street Church Mark, Josh, and myself are working on a plan to transition back to in-person worship services amid all the regulations set by local, state, and national authorities
So, yes, I was alright ... not! I have to imagine as she asked me the question that my face was sullen with a blank stare. Her question kept me awake for quite awhile that night. The more I thought about it, the more I felt crushed. That is not me. That is not who I want to be. What happened? The next day I would write Is hope hard to find right now? God used Diane to remind me of the hope we have in God. This is not the first time He has used her and most certainly will not be the last. It helped me to realize that no matter where we are at, what we have going on, or what we are dealing with that God is right there. He is always close to use and even closer when we are feeling crushed by what is going on. God is there to rescue us through our spouses, our children, our family, our friends, and yes even strangers. 

Thank you Father for always being there for us. Help us to be there for each other as well.

No comments: