Thursday, May 21, 2020

Worry affects us in many ways, here is what you can do about it.

“Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me." - John 14:1 NLT

It affects our health, our happiness, our relationship, our jobs. Worry ages us.  What are you worrying about today? What do you think would happen if you took that worry and gave it over to Jesus?

Especially when it comes to health issues, especially pain, you will probably hear me say; "It is just a minor inconvenience." The bone spur in my shoulder has caused irritation in my shoulder that has worked its way down my arm to my elbow and to my hand. My doctor had prescribed some medication that helped with the swelling and it started to feel better. Yeah! Then the prescription ran out. I have not called my doctor about this minor inconvenience because we are in the middle of a pandemic. I reasoned that she has enough to worry about being on the frontlines. Now I am getting less quality sleep. I am sleeping on the couch, not because I am in trouble, but because it keeps me from laying on that shoulder. I need to call her tomorrow.

So there, I have worry all taken care of and I can move on. Wrong. I worry about my daughters and their families. I worry about our parents. I worry about my brother and his family. I worry about my wife's brothers and their families. Yet I do know that God is in control and that helps.

Now, now I have it, right? Nope, still wrong. I worry about my job. Am I doing things right? Did I say the right things to each of the customers I talk to each and every day. Did I make a mistake? On my current schedule I work Monday - Thursday and Saturday one week and the next is Monday - Friday. Did I take off the right day this week? Did I really have a vacation day today, better call the schedule line and make sure. You see, I am pretty good at handing everything in my life over to God except for me. If it has to do with me personally, I worry. Interestingly enough, I never thought I would do well working from home. This pandemic has changed that opinion. I do like it, but I miss the people and look forward to going back to the office. When I started working from home I had a chat with God and gave it over to Him. So I still worry about work, sure. But not like I did even two months ago.

By turning it over to Jesus, I am feeling better mentally and spiritually. As for my physical health, Diane and I started WW (formerly Weight Watchers). Losing my 25 minute commute has allowed Diane and I more time together and our relationship is as strong as it has ever been and I am getting happier.

I encourage you to turn your worry over to Jesus too. Why? Because of what Jesus tells us: 

28 “And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, 29 yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 30 And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?

31 “So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ 32 These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. 33 Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.

34 “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today. - Matthew 6:28-34 NLT

No comments: